I never thought I’d go to college.

I never thought I’d transfer from a community college with an Associate’s degree.

I never thought I’d be graduating from Stan State with my Bachelor’s degree.

And, I never thought I’d get into the Graduate school of my dreams.

But here I am, to show you that it is possible. For someone like me, and for someone like you!

I started blogging at the start of my Senior year, and this has been the most rewarding experience. I highly recommend joining this team for a few reasons.

1. It’s fully remote. From the comfort of your home, on your own weekly time schedule!
  2. You can be yourself and share your journey with others!
  3. Lastly, gain experience with technology! Employers love seeing that you can write blogs!

What’s next for me?

After I walk the stage, with my mask on and most likely in tears. I head off to San Francisco State University. There I got accepted into the Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts program to continue to pursue Journalism while also getting more in-depth with communications in the media!

To be honest, I never even thought about graduate school. Why? Because I didn’t think it applied to me. That it was beyond my reach. But one day, during my junior year my professor stood in front of the class and told everyone to raise their hand if they were going to grad school.

Mine was down. And he asked the class, “if not why?”

“You’ve already made it this far. Why not keep going?”

https://media.giphy.com/media/fpXxIjftmkk9y/source.gif

I reached out to my counselor, professors, and people that I’ve had the pleasure to work with along the way. (Email them they enjoy reading emails from students about progress! If your professor has made a difference in your life, email them!)

If you’re coming into Stan State, don’t limit yourself! Even then if grad school isn’t for you, look how far you’ve come. That’s an accomplishment in itself.

As I graduate, my son enrolls in Kindergarten!!

The cycle begins all over again. I hope to be the role model he can look up to. As a first-generation college graduate, I found resources when no one else in my family had a clue.

Luckily for me, Stan State has those resources within reach.

Never stop reaching for help.

While you enter in, don’t be so quick to finish that you forget this is the best part. Join that club, take that internship, and make life-long friends along the way!

If you don’t know what you’re doing, what path you want to pursue, what you want to do in life. You’re not alone. I was there too, it will slowly come together with TIME and a lot of classes to pick from and try along the way!

As a mom, a friend, and a student that was in your shoes, you truly got this!

With love as always and forever,

Aliyah