Have you been feeling beyond exhausted? Does it take A LOT to get tasks done lately? For me, If I have a list of things to do, I do one and I’m ready for a nap. Seriously.

But it’s actually common to feel this way. You actually might be experiencing burnout.

“Burnout is a state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress. It occurs when you feel overwhelmed, emotionally drained, and unable to meet constant demands.”

Keep in mind that this happens to everyone. And it’s okay to feel like this. People are experiencing burnout more than ever right now.

A 2018 study in the journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings found that the rate of “overall burnout” among the general U.S. workforce was 28%.

Unfortunately, many confuse this with depression. However,

The World Health Organization points out that burnout’s symptoms are work-related, which is an important distinction. Burnout can imply a person is questioning the significance or impact of their profession. It is not a medical condition. 

What can we do about this? Listen in ya’ll.

While researching I’ve found a few easy ways to help overcome burnout.

1. Feeling Overworked And Stressed

The world has a way of showing its beauty. Go for daily walks and take deep breaths several times a day. Take a break, two or three days to do what you love. And manage your time by segregating the urgent and non-urgent tasks.

It’s okay to take baby steps. Don’t let people fool you into believing that if you don’t have your life together, you’re behind. You’re not! Trust me. Prioritize and be okay with not overworking yourself. Put yourself first.

2. Feeling Uninspired

I must admit, there are times where I get too lost in my thoughts. I lose motivation, I’m too tired. When we feel uninspired, it’s time to switch things up. Set a challenge for yourself in an area where you have no experience. Gain back the confidence by setting out on a new challenge to conquer.

3. Fight back against unsustainable workloads

It’s completely understandable to be having a hard time adjusting to living in a pandemic, rushing to vaccinations, and trying to juggle work, school plus other responsibilities. These all can trigger stressors that will leave us drained. Don’t be afraid to tell people “no” or ask for more flexibility ahead of time.

4. Taking More Sick Days

“If you’re taking more sick days, you’re challenged to get out of bed or you’re saying phrases such as, “I’m drowning!” then you’re most likely on the verge of burnout. Communicate with your manager, not by oversharing but by collaborating on ways that could reduce this burnout while maintaining integrity and success at your job. Don’t assume they know what you’re going through. Communicate! – Colleen Hauk, Balance Point Coaching”

If you’re experience exhaustion, it’s okay to seek help from people you trust. It’s easier to overcome things with people by our side. A support system. And remember, you’re not alone.

“Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes.. Including you. -Anne Lamott”

With love,

Aliyah